Food and Home Card
Extra money for everyday costs
The Food & Home card makes it easy to save. Each month, you get a set amount of money to help you pay for food, utility bills, mortgage, or rent.
Check if you get the Food & Home card
See your What to Know About Your Plan booklet to find out:
- If your plan includes the Food & Home card
- The amount you get
- If you get the card automatically or only with a qualifying health condition
Use the card for routine expenses
You can use your Food & Home card to pay for:
- Healthy foods
- Utility bills, like your gas or electric bill
- Mortgage or rent
Choose to spend your money all at once or throughout the month. Either way, be sure to use the full amount — you can’t roll over unused money to the next month. We automatically refill your card on the first of each month, so make sure you don’t throw it away!
How to get started
If your plan automatically includes the card, you’ll get it in the mail.
If your plan requires that you qualify for the card, do one of the following:
Once you get your card, follow the instructions it comes with to activate it.
How to buy food
- Shop at participating grocery stores, online at Healthy Benefits, or with the Healthy Benefits+ app (iPhone | Android)
- Choose foods like fruits, veggies, fish, meat, eggs, and more
- Pay with your Food & Home card or the Healthy Benefits+ app
You can only use your card at participating stores — not at convenience stores, restaurants (including fast food), or gas stations.
How to pay utility bills, mortgage, or rent
You have 2 ways to pay:
- If your service provider accepts Visa, you can use your 16-digit card number like a credit or debit card and pay them directly. Payment will go through right away.
- If your service provider is set up with Healthy Benefits, you can pay online with Healthy Benefits. Payment may take up to 7 days, so pay at least a week before the due date.
A few important notes:
- If the bill is more than your benefit amount, send the rest of your payment directly to your service provider
- If there’s a processing fee when you pay, we'll use part of your monthly benefit to cover it
- If your service provider doesn’t accept Visa and isn't set up with Healthy Benefits, you may not be able to use your benefit to pay them
- You can use your card for mortgage or rent only if your bank or landlord can accept Food & Home card payment
How much money do I get each month?
Can I use the benefit before my card arrives?
Do I need a PIN?
Nope, just give the card to the cashier and ask them to scan the barcode on the back. If you’re ever asked to enter a PIN, it’s the last 4 digits of the card number.
Do I need to spend the full amount all at once?
Nope. You can spend it however you want throughout the month, but be sure to spend it all — you can’t roll over unused money to the next month.
How do I check my balance?
Check your balance online or call the number on the back of your card
Will I get a new card each month?
No, so be sure to hold onto your card. We automatically add more money to it on the first of each month.
Do I have to use the card to pay?
You’ll need to use either the physical card or the digital card in the Healthy Benefits+ app. Or you can place your order online with Healthy Benefits and they’ll already have your card information.
Are there any limits on what foods I can buy?
You can buy any foods you choose, but we recommend sticking with items like:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Fish and lean meats
- Eggs, cheese, milk, and other dairy products
- Whole grains, like whole wheat bread and brown rice
- Nuts, seeds, and spreads
- Olive oil and other plant-based oils
- Supplemental drinks like Boost® and Ensure®
You can’t use your card for certain items, including alcohol, baby formula, pet food, or household goods like paper towels.
What utility bills can I pay?
You can pay most common bills like gas, electric, water, sewer, garbage, internet, cable, and cell phone. You can’t use your card on prepaid phone service, firewood, or pellet fuel.
Can I pay bills for other people?
No, you can only pay bills for yourself.
Still have questions?
For questions about using your card or finding participating stores and service providers, visit Healthy Benefits online or call Healthy Benefits (our Food & Home card partner) at 1-855-572-7156 (TTY 711).
For questions about whether you qualify for the card, text us at 866-85 or call us at 1-800-338-6833 (TTY 711).